17 December 2020

Hello up there!

As the autumn heart forgets the promise of springtime,
When the summer green turns to dark red, yellow, and brown,
The falling leaves fly hither and yon before the wind,
Then cover the forest floor like a faded patchwork quilt.
The migrating birds have sung their parting farewell,
Leaving those who remain to hunker down for winter.
High up on a mountain of prayer far from the material world,
Where the shores of Heaven and Earth are closer together,
I cast my eyes upward toward the gates of Heaven, but
I dare not raise my voice and shout "Hello up there!,"
For fear of startling those at home in Paradise.
I offer a silent prayer and linger wistfully one more hour,
Then wave farewell in camaraderie and slowly turn away
To set off down the road for home and a hearty supper.
It's not my time for Heaven yet, but bye and bye,
I will wait just a bit longer until God calls 
And into His hands I will commend my spirit! 

.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. I have been living in Mexico since January 6th, 1999. I am continually studying to improve my knowledge of the Spanish language and Mexican history and culture. I am also a student of Mandarin Chinese.