21 December 2018

On Paradise

"It's Christmas! It's Christmas in Heaven!
Hip hip hip hip hip hooray!
Every single day is Christmas day!"
(From Monty Python - "The Meaning of Life")

This isn't the Heavenly Paradise that we all long for. This Heaven that they sing about consists of a worldly, consumer driven Christmas, utterly lacking in any religious or spiritual meaning, for the reality of the situation is clear: everyone in this Monty Python skit has gone to Hell. The true Heavenly Paradise that everyone hopes to see (but many won't) is the Paradise that Saint Francis de Sales wrote about in his Introduction to the Devout Life. The following is my adoption of his meditation on Paradise:

Eighth Meditation - On Paradise

Considerations:

1.) I consider a lovely, calm, summer's night, when the heavens are bright with the light of the glittering stars, a scene that rivals the beauty of the blue sky, the white clouds, and the glorious morning sun. I imagine that all of this falls far short of the glory of paradise.

2.) I consider the beauty and perfection of all those who already inhabit paradise; the Angels, the Apostles, Disciples, Martyrs, Saints, and Innocents along with all of the other righteous men and women who have gone before. I imagine what it would feel like to be in that number, in perpetual joy, unimaginable bliss, and incredible delights.

3.) I consider how the inhabitants of Paradise enjoy the presence of God who fills them with wondrous knowledge and understanding and the perfection of a being united in Him. The souls in Paradise are like happy children without jealousy and strife, singing praises of their Creator.

Affections and Resolutions:

1.) I admire and rejoice in the thought of Paradise and the vision of my camaraderie with Jesus, His Apostles, His disciples, my mother and father, and my ancestors who have gone before me.

2.) I admonish myself for not availing myself long ago of God's gift and promise to those who acknowledge Him and keep His commandments. How could I neglect or reject such a treasure for mere vain, corruptible, and temporary earthly pursuits?

3.) I will aspire earnestly toward that Heavenly shore, not for the reward of the delights that it offers but for the blessed relief to be with my God in the company of all who love Him.

Conclusion:

1.) Bless me O Lord with Thy glorious gift of Paradise which I don't deserve but I long for with all my heart. I wish to dissolve my soul in holy unity with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit forever and ever.

2.) O God, please help me to grow in faith and love for Thee with all my heart and soul and to love my fellow human beings without exception. I cling to the hope and the promise of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, that one day I shall be with Him in Paradise. Amen.

Merry Christmas Everyone! "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."  Amen!

.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. I have been living in Mexico since January 6th, 1999. I am continually studying to improve my knowledge of the Spanish language and Mexican history and culture. I am also a student of Mandarin Chinese.