30 September 2010

Heaven only knows...

Yesterday I went to IMSS (Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social) for my monthly checkup. I really enjoy going to IMSS because they take good care of me and I enjoy chatting with all the people with whom I come in contact. It is a true slice of life in Mexico. Something gave me a little jolt though as I was about to leave. They made my next appointment for Tuesday, November 2nd, El Día de los Muertos. It is a good thing that I am not superstitious! Even so, last night I dreamed that I had died and gone to Heaven. I must have died very early in the morning because I was one of the first ones to arrive at the Pearly Gates, even before St. Peter got there. We could see him coming down the drive from the "Big House" in his Chrysler PT Cruiser. Hey, that is the same kind of car that I drive except that his is a lot newer and of course his is snow white.

When St. Peter stopped his car and got out I noticed that in one hand he had a ring of keys and in the other a cup of Starbuck's coffee. I did not know that Starbuck's is now available in Heaven. I had heard that there is a Starbuck's in San Miguel de Allende and that there are Starbuck's all over Hell but that is quite another matter altogether. Just as soon as St. Peter swung open the gates the crowd surged forward. St. Peter urged everyone to stay calm and said that the sooner they fell neatly into line the sooner they would be admitted to Heaven, provided of course, that all their papers were in order. I could see one lady jumping up and down waving her hand in the air like a schoolgirl and St. Peter said, "Yes, lady from Modesto, California. Don't worry, your little doggies are here. They are waiting for you in the arrivals area". All in all, St. Peter was pretty good about everything and most people had no problem getting in. He did shake his head and frown at some of them though and that had me worried. When it was finally my turn I was relieved when he shook my hand and said, "Hi Mexico Bob, I read your blog. Welcome to Heaven".

In my dream Heaven is a really cool place. After I received a big hug from Jesus I had to go check in with God the Father and that had me very scared but Jesus had already put in a good word for me and God the Father was pretty genial. I really like Him (AHEM!), I mean I really love Him. Then I had a chance to see my Mom & Dad and all my relatives and ancestors all the way back to Adam & Eve, who by the way, are a very nice couple. There is just so much to see and do in Heaven. I came to this one auditorium that was like a big screening room and I saw Abe Lincoln, George Washington, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Franklin Roosevelt, Everett Dirksen, Tip O'Neil and just about every well known deceased politician you can think of except for the ones that went astray. The front wall was covered with big screen televisions and all were tuned to different news programs. There was ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, Bloomberg, etcetera. I asked Thomas Jefferson why FOX News Channel wasn't represented and he told me that FOX News is a creation of the Devil and that it had no place in Heaven. Anyway, I was happy to see that all of the old timers were rooting for Barack Obama and the Democrats. That's a good sign. If Heaven is for you who can be against you?

Well, needless to say, this morning when I woke up I was back in my own bed here on Earth but Heaven was so real that I am sure that I had a glimpse of it. When my time comes I won't mind going there one bit. After all...I already know the routine.

12 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Wow Bob, what a wonderful dream. I daresay I sure as heck won't mind going there when it's my time. They best have some Kenya AA coffee beans from Africa because I'm not into Starbucks. Was that me? I was jumping up and down wanting to see my family pet members? Wow. Funny you should post something like this because my mind and my heart have been a little on the...how should I say it..my thoughts for the past couple of weeks have been on my Val, my Dad, and the two little creatures who are in doggie heaven now. It is about that time again. This will be my 3rd involvement with the Dia. You didn't say how you were, if everything was okay? If you were to go to the pearly gates before I do, blog life would definitely be at a loss. Knowing you though, you'd find a way to send the messages down. Oh, you did mention they had a blogland there too. Well darn, I won't mind going there either. Thanks Bob, for the wonderful dream. I'm not afraid anymore. Have a great Friday and weekend and regards to Gina. Hasta luego.

The Last Quarter said...

I love your dream, Bob. It really had me laughing, and if a dream of heaven can bring such mirth, imagine what the real thing will do!

Don Cuevas said...

Oh, Bob. I didn't know that you had such a colorful imagination.

I'm a little concerned: if you are pure spirit and no longer flesh when you die, what about, ahem, eating?

Thanks for the smiles.

Saludos,
Don Cuevas

Bob Mrotek said...

Yes, Gloria, that was you and Chocolate sends you lots of love :)

Tom,
If this blog post made you laugh then you made my day :)

Don Cuevas,
In Heaven you will be 27 years old again and never grow older or fatter. I am sure that you won't be surprised to learn that junk food is very popular. I saw George Washington eating a whole plate full of Twinkies :)

Unknown said...

Two nights ago I dreamed about zombies who liked to party. The trick to deceiving the buggers were to party away! What a fun dream. I liked yours as well. But spare the Starbucks. Copan Coffee is heavenly.

Unknown said...

Two nights ago I dreamed about zombies who liked to party. The trick to deceiving the buggers were to party away! What a fun dream. I liked yours as well. But spare the Starbucks. Copan Coffee is heavenly.

norm said...

Rupert has a spot reserved for himself already and it aint in the place that Bob's going to if I were able to make the judgment.

GlorV1 said...

Bob, Chocolatte' is alive and well. She is only or will be 3 years old on November 18th. It's Chorizo and SisterMay who are there at the waiting place. I'm not going yet though. Life is too good and I am so a part of it, tamales, enchiladas, tacos...:)

Bob Mrotek said...

Oh, Gloria, I am so glad that Chocolate is alive and well. I have a song for her:
Cho-coh-la-tey
Bate bate Chocolate
Bate bate Chocolate :)

Rosas Clan in Tulum said...

This was so wonderful that I called over the kids to read it to them. They loved it. Some of it was a little over them but they really enjoyed it.

You are a modern day parable teller Bob. Thank you for a great post.

GlorV1 said...

That's cute Bob. I stopped by Leslie's because I noticed that she knows how to insert the tilde over the n as in a word like senor. I can't figure out how to do it. I stopped over there on my way over here to ask her and now I'm here.:) bye now.

Julie D. said...

Politics in Heaven ... stop! I want to still WANT to go there! :-D

But the Starbucks may be enough to make me stand in line for St. Peter. Especially if I can get some of that Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee I've always heard of and longed to try. I bet they've got the best sugar cookies too to go along with it. :-)

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. I have been living in Mexico since January 6th, 1999. I am continually studying to improve my knowledge of the Spanish language and Mexican history and culture. I am also a student of Mandarin Chinese.