23 May 2017

Mastering Oneself

It is by patient endurance that you will gain possession of your souls. (Luke 21:19).

The possession of a soul means the undisturbed mastery of oneself, which is the secret of inner peace as distinguished from a thousand agitations that make it fearful, unhappy, and disappointed. Only when the soul is completely possessed can anything else be fully enjoyed. The body can be injured without the consent of the soul, but the soul cannot be injured without its own consent.

Truth is as native to the mind as light is to the eye, but when truth illuminates people's sins they hate the truth and prefer to lie. Truth stirs the conscience of all men, especially evildoers, and they don't like it. Hence they try to cover up the truth. No one can turn off the light of truth but they can pull down the blinds of their own soul and shut it out. (Fulton J. Sheen)

.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. I have been living in Mexico since January 6th, 1999. I am continually studying to improve my knowledge of the Spanish language and Mexican history and culture. I am also a student of Mandarin Chinese.