08 August 2009

Credit Where Credit is Due

We had a fabulous meal tonight and we owe it all to Sara at "imafoodblog.com". She recently posted a recipe for "Portobello Mushroom Burgers with Roasted Red Peppers" and it is out of this world. Normally I just eat what my wife Gina cooks and she is a very good cook so you can believe me when I say that I am not suffering. The thing is that I have been on a health kick lately and have been trying to avoid eating too much red meat and sometimes I get tired of chicken or fish. I just love hamburgers and I was really missing them when I spotted Sara's recipe. Today at the supermarket I spotted some portobello mushrooms and I thought, "What the heck, let's give it a try". We didn't follow her recipe exactly. In fact we simplified it a bit. We just sautéed the portobello mushroom caps in a little olive oil on both sides and then placed them in our little electric toaster oven stem side up with a little finely chopped onion and some shredded queso asadero cheese on top. Then we toasted them until the cheese melted. We covered one side of a large sesame seed hamburger bun with fresh basil leaves and on top of that we placed pieces of red bell pepper with the skin removed and then the mushroom. On the other half of the bun we put mayonnaise and catsup (ketchup). The result looked and tasted just like a hamburger but the mushroom, basil, and red bell pepper made it taste like one of the best hamburgers that I have ever eaten. I was quite surprised and content with this meal and now I know that you don't have to eat red meat to be happy. I owe Sara a big "thank you" and I encourage anyone who reads this to check it out at:

http://www.imafoodblog.com/index.php/2009/07/13/portobello-mushroom-burgers-with-roasted#more238

Like Martha Stewart always says..."It's a good thing".

.

6 comments:

YayaOrchid said...

I gotta try this sometime. It does look good!

1st Mate said...

Basil! Portobellos! I'd have to drive 80 miles to buy those. Tengo muchos celos!

Alice said...

What a coincidence! We had portobello pasta for dinner with two caps leftover. With these we are planning to make portobello burgers tomorrow for dinner. mmm! I might try the recipe you recommend.

Bob Mrotek said...

Go for it Alice! I wouldn't steer you wrong :)

Sara said...

Yay! So glad you liked these, they were so good. And to also give credit where credit is due, I originally found this from Greg at Sippity Sup :)

Thanks!

GlorV1 said...

That sounds really good Bob. I love pasta and with special mushrooms that really rocks. Have a great Wednesday.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. I have been living in Mexico since January 6th, 1999. I am continually studying to improve my knowledge of the Spanish language and Mexican history and culture. I am also a student of Mandarin Chinese.