19 July 2009

La Boda de Oro

Yesterday I attended the third 50th wedding anniversary in my lifetime. The first was that of my grandparents, Stanley & Anastasia (Nettie) Mrotek. The second was that my own parents, George & Armella Mrotek. The anniversary that we celebrated yesterday was that of my wife Gina's parents, Antonio Vargas Razo & Maria del Carmen Hernández Baltazar. Every wedding anniversary is a cause for celebration but a fiftieth is very special. It is both a milestone and a triumph. Yesterday was a real blessing for yours truly because I received so many "apapachos" (caresses, kisses on the cheek, and hugs). Needless to say Gina's parents are getting to be "advanced" in years and her father is already in his eighties. Most of their contemporary friends and first order of relatives are also elderly so in a bittersweet way you might say that it was one of the last round- ups. All of the "ancianos" as we call them..."the old ones" were especially cordial to me and gave me big hugs along with their blessings. To say the least it made me feel pretty good.

The celebrations started as such things usually do here in Mexico with an 11:am Catholic mass. It took place in the Templo de Nuestra Señora de la Soledad which is the "parroquia" or main church in the city of Irapuato after the Cathedral where the Bishop presides. The priest was a nice old guy named Padre Hipolito who reminded me of Pope John Paul the Second in speech and mannerisms. After the mass everyone went to the home of Gina's sister Araceli or "Aro" as we call her. She and her husband Luis have a house with a big open ground floor area that the family uses for large gatherings. We had a five piece band named "Son 5" who played "oldies but goodies" that we could sing to and also some popular dance music for the younger crowd. The party went on all afternoon and into the evening until about 8:pm. I fear that some of those who attended I may never see again so goodbyes were long and heartfelt. I was especially gladdened to see how much fun the young people and the little kids had. Just like I remember from the first two 50th wedding anniversaries that I attended, a good time was had by all, and for that I give thanks.

(Click on images to enlarge)







8 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Wow Bob, what a wonderful and memorable event. I'm so happy for you and geez, 50th. That is really something. We here are barely going on our 28th. The pictures are great and I feel like I know Gina already. She is a beautiful woman, lucky you...but then you are so deserving.:) I just want to say thank you for sharing this precious moment, I felt like I was there. I want some of that cake, I bet it was good. My congratulations to Gina's parents and may they have many more. They are looking pretty good for their ages. Thanks Bob, have a great week.

1st Mate said...

Gina's folks look great for having been married 50 years! And she wore my favorite color, no wonder she looks so pretty. Was your father in law giving a speech, or singing with the microphone?

Nice to finally see a photo of Gina, a lovely lady.

Leslie Harris said...

Congratulations to your "suegros". I have been to a few "Bodas de Oro" and always enjoy seeing the entire family gathered to celebrate the happy couple! My "suegros" will be celebrating their's in 7 years. My hubby and I have still have to wait 36 years, but I can't wait!!!

Bob Mrotek said...

Gloria,
You are right. I am very lucky. I don't know what Gina sees in me but it certainly can't be my good looks or my wealth because I have none of either :)

Bliss,
Thanks for the kind comment. To answer you question my father-in-law was singing. He has a great voice. The song is called "Quiéreme Mucho".

Quiéreme mucho
Dulce amor mío
Qué amante siempre
Te adoraré

Yo con tus besos
Y tus caricias
Mis sufrimientos
Acallaré

Cuando se quiere de veras
Como te quiero yo a ti
Es imposible mi cielo
Tan separados vivir

Cuando se quiere de veras
Como te quiero yo a ti
Es imposible mi cielo
Tan separados vivir
Tan separados vivir

Es imposible mi cielo
Tan separados vivir
Tan separados vivir

Leslie,
Don't worry. My "suegro" said that the first 14 years were the hardest. For you the next 36 years should be a piece of cake. Please invite me to the party :)

GlorV1 said...

Your soul Bob, your inner soul. By the way, you are a very handsome young man, don't kid yourself.:D

Bob Mrotek said...

Gloria,
You made me blush but you know what? I think you need new glasses :)

Frankly Ronda said...

That is just incredible that you have 3 sets of immediate family that got to 50 years!!

I agree with other comments that Gina and her Family look so happy and beautiful. What a special occasion. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

¡Felicidades a los esposos!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. I have been living in Mexico since January 6th, 1999. I am continually studying to improve my knowledge of the Spanish language and Mexican history and culture. I am also a student of Mandarin Chinese.