This morning I came across a publication by the Brownsville, Texas, Customs and Border Patrol arm of the Department of Homeland Security regarding travel to Mexico for "Spring Break" which you can download here:
Here is part of it:
U.S. Customs and Border Protection requirements
WARNING: IT'S ILLEGAL TO CARRY FIREARMS OR AMMO INTO MEXICO
Report drug and alien smuggling. Call 956-542-5811 in the U.S., 001800-0105237 from Mexico.
Prohibited / permissible items:
1. All articles acquired in Mexico must be declared.
2. $800 exemption for gifts and personal articles, including one liter of alcoholic beverages per person over 21 every 30 days.
3. Cuban cigars are prohibited.
4. Check with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) about importing any medications prior to crossing into Mexico.
5. CBP has a zero-tolerance policy on illegal drugs. Any type, in any amount may result in serious fines, seizure of vehicle, federal record and/or imprisonment.
6. Switchblade knives, sea turtle boots or any other articles of endangered species (i.e. spotted cats, coral, crocodile, elephant, etc) are prohibited.
I noted several things of interest that perhaps one of you legal beagles out there can help me with. Under "U.S. Customs and Border Protection requirements" it says in big letters "WARNING: IT'S ILLEGAL TO CARRY FIREARMS OR AMMO INTO MEXICO". I am certain that it is illegal in Mexico but under the heading, "Prohibited/permissible items", firearms aren't mentioned at all even though they didn't forget Cuban cigars which warranted a whole line of its own. This implies that it may be okay to carry firearms across the border from the standpoint of U.S. laws but not Mexico's. Since great amounts of money and firearms coming into Mexico from the United States are half of the drug problem I think it should be made very clear that it is illegal under U.S. law to cross the border into Mexico with firearms and if it isn't than it should be. I hope that Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano takes note of this. The drugs will stop flowing North when the money and the guns stop flowing South and maybe the blood will stop spilling also.
- ► 2016 (34)
- ► 2015 (8)
- ► 2013 (15)
- ► 2012 (20)
- ► 2011 (37)
- ► 2010 (72)
- ▼ March (9)
- ► 2008 (116)